Saturday, October 4, 2008

One Final Glimpse of our Special Guest

Unfortunately, Grandma Sherry bought a round-trip ticket. That means she had to leave us. The nice thing was that she stayed longer this time than she ever has before. We loved having her for a lengthier stay this time! Sherry's mottoes are: "I like to leave while you're still wanting me to stay," and, "Fish and company are alike: they both start to stink after three days!" She makes us laugh. We definitely would have loved it if she had stayed and no, she didn't stink! Hmmm, though maybe she got sick of us?

Speaking of laughing, I caught this final video of Sherry playing with the kids Thursday morning. Shaylen had brought down a songbook and asked Grandma Sherry if she would play through it. Ever heard the rendition of Sesame Street's "There's A Hole In the Bucket"? I remember it from childhood but can't seem to find it on the web. No matter, Sherry's version with the kids is just about as funny. My only regret is that I didn't get all of it and what I did get is too large a file to be put on Blogger (or at least my attempts at putting it on here were unsuccessful). Here's a snippet. Sherry's a hoot. Now you know where my husband gets it.
We said our good-byes and waved as she drove off with Taigen. That's always the hardest part. After praying Wednesday night, Shaylen said tearfully, "I don't want Grandma Sherry to leave! I will miss her!" I don't think it hit Marshall until Friday morning that she was actually gone. He said, "When is Grandma Sherry going to wake up?" I choked on the lump in my throat and said, "Oh honey! She is gone. She had to go back home." The house seemed empty and reality hit hard. For the first time this year, I think I saw a slump in their shoulders when I said that we needed to get back to school. Can you blame them? Grandma Sherry was very entertaining!

Thanks for coming out Sherry! We loved having you here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved being there, too. I didn't realize you were videoing that silly song! ;o)

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo and joosey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs

The Coffee Press said...

Oh yes! It was hilarious to watch!