Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sour Cream Cookies

Several of you have been drooling over the Psychedelic Cookies and so, to contribute to your holiday binging, I am posting the recipe. These are similar to sugar cookies, only so much more moist. If you enjoy them, then give thanks to my step-mom, Cathy, who shared her recipe with me many years ago.

Here's what you'll need for the cookies.
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 tsp. baking powder (SORRY, I forgot this earlier!!!)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sour cream (not fat free or reduced fat...get the real stuff)
2 2/3 cups flour

Cream together shortening, sugar, vanilla, egg. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add alternately the sour cream and flour. Mix until dough doesn't stick to your hands. Roll out and cut with cutters (make them thick so that they will not be crunchy). Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 425 degrees for about 6-8 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. Cool and then frost.

Frosting
4 cups confectioners sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
4 Tbs. melted butter

Mix together and create the "funkiest" colors imaginable with food coloring. Frost the cookies in unconventional styles and have fun. Only then can they be "Psychedelic Christmas Cookies." By the way, in the past, there has been a HUGE difference between Taigen's cookies and mine. Since we allowed the kids to decorate this year, you can hardly discern between theirs and his, much to his relief. I've been outnumbered.

Cathy and I both make a bunch, frost them and then freeze them. (Of course, Cathy's cookies look beautiful and normal...I guess my dad is a better artist than Taigen.)We take a few out of the freezer as they are "needed" and they (hopefully) last through the whole holiday season.

7 comments:

js said...

I can't wait to eat some. Once again I get the good end of the deal....I don't have to make them but, I get to stuff my face. :) Hey, you should put your fudge recipe on here. Hehehehe! That joke may never die!

Becbud said...

The instructions say to add baking powder...how much?

The Coffee Press said...

Ooooooops! I forgot to type in the 1 tsp of baking powder. Thank you Becca for pointing that out! I'm so sorry! I hope it doesn't ruin it for some!

Becbud said...

Sounds good...I was hoping that's what you'd say...that's what I did. Just pulled my first tray out of the oven (they smell so good!)...making them for our annual church open house for this sunday night!

The Coffee Press said...

Oh, I'm soooo glad. You guys are so smart. I hope your church enjoys them. Are you going to decorate them in a normal fashion or make them "true" Psychedelic Christmas Cookies?

Becbud said...

I hadn't decided yet. I think I'm going to leave that up to Buddy and the kids tonight!

Becbud said...

Buddy chose "normal" fashion, as you can see on our blog. Hope you enjoy the pictures. These cookies are yummy!