Friday, October 15, 2010

A New Fall Tradition?

When Jan Reimers was here for our Young(er) Pastor's Wives Mini Conference, she left a small gift for me. In the bag was a really nice cookie cutter in the shape of a leaf, some fall sprinkles and a leaf candy dish. I was really excited to receive these because I was actually looking for a leaf cookie cutter! Taigen had gone to Michael's and found another fall-type set for me so we had plenty of variety. We had plans to make sour cream cookies while Dad and Cathy were here, but we ran out of time. I had promised the kids that we would make these, so I finally fulfilled my promise yesterday.

Boy, did we make a mess! There were bowls, cups, spoons, knives, flour, powdered sugar, sprinkles, food coloring droppers, cookie cutters, frosting tips & bags and baking sheets all over my island and in the kitchen sink. Of course, some of it spilled onto the floor too. It's overwhelming when you look at the mess to clean up, but of course we had gobs of fun while in the middle of our creative project.

I loved using the fall colors to decorate our leaf and acorn cookies. We made sure to use only colors that we would have found in our area. If you have never seen New England in the fall, you need to come. You'll find reds, greens (dark green from the evergreens and lime green on the leaves), yellows, oranges, rusts and browns. It is spectacular! You really need to come and see it for yourself. Be sure to book the Jooses' Bed and Blessing ahead of time (around Columbus Day is always best).

The cookies turned out great. We used toothpicks this time so that we could get a swirly, vein-y look. AND, I might add, they tasted wonderful too. I took some to my ladies' meeting last night and they were devoured. What a wonderful afternoon with the kids. It just might be the start of a new tradition.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

The cookies look fantastic, and I'm sure the kids are planning on next year already. But there are no fall color pics on your blog...share some of that new England color with your friend in still-green Greenville? (Albeit a dried out sort of green).