When Taigen and I travelled for BJU for a year, we journeyed across the states with the best team members, stayed in so many different homes, ate diverse meals, met so many wonderful people, and enjoyed the many different services in dozens upon dozens of churches. The one and only thing that ever gave us any "grief" was a pet or two or, well...quite a few. After discovering various and sundry "treasures" in, on, or around our beds, in our food or on our clothes, you will understand when I say that we determined then and there to not adopt any pets when we had a home of our own. Now ten years later, that desire has not wavered. Some said that when we had kids that would change, but so far it has not. Don't get me wrong. We love pets...pets that belong to others. Ha!Apparently two cats in our neighborhood didn't get that memo and decided to build their home under the lowest level of our deck. Must've seemed like the perfect, cozy little spot for them to start their family! One day while washing dishes, I looked out the kitchen window to see two kittens wrestling out in the grass. When I went out for a closer look, they darted underneath.
We have spotted them several times since and it is more than obvious that they are here to stay. Now, I have to admit, they are really, really cute. There were originally five kittens. One, sadly, was hit by a car out in front of our house, but the other four seem to be thriving. There was one obvious runt of the litter: a tiny black and white one. He seems to stick close to mama and is the one I see the most. Maybe the other three have taken off to go find decks of their own. Let's hope so. We're not feeding them and they're doing well, so maybe they are finding their daily sustenance by munching on our mouse population. Hey! It's a win/win situation, right? They get free room and board, we don't have to clean up after them, pay vet bills, vacuum up cat hair, worry about our friends being allergic, AND it saves us (uh, Taigen) the trouble of setting and emptying the mouse traps in the bulkhead. So for now, the cats have us, but we do not have them. Now this is what I call pet ownership!
3 comments:
Ahhh, good ol' Ministry Team pets! Remember the dog who ate my pillow case? And the cat barrier that Rachel and I (well, mostly I, since I am the one who does not care for cats) had to build in someone's basement with a child safety gate? Great memories!
Oh Cherith! The stories we could tell! Someone should write a book! I don't remember the pillow case story, but Taigen and I think the baby gate story sounds familiar. Too funny!
You need to email me a link to your blog. We got a new computer a while back and because yours was set under private settings, I lost it. :( I need to see all the figlets! Hope you're doing well. We pray for BJU weekly, including your husband and his responsibilities. I'm SURE he's doing a great job! Hugs to you.
Haha! I love it! The mother cat isn't too pretty but the kitten sure is cute! I asked Jon if I could have a hedgehog. They are really cute! He looked at me with a, "You're not being serious," look. :) He said I could HOLD one at the pet store. :)
Post a Comment