Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Science in the Front Yard

The first chapter in Science this year started off by discussing plants. One of the special projects that was optional for me as a mom was to make a terrarium with the kids. Well, wouldn't you know it? I didn't have a ginormous jar to put anything in, so we bypassed it. The kids were disappointed because they had thought it would be a great idea to get a salamander or frog and put it in too, if only we had that jar! You all know my view on pets, so you knew that wasn't going to fly...or walk...or crawl...or creep at all.
Last week as the kids were playing outside, they came across a toad hopping in our yard. Shaylen got a bucket and I helped them trap it so they could get a closer look. Well, that turned into an additional hour-long science lesson with dirt, rocks, plants, water and, of course, the toad. We built our own little temporary terrarium with a cracked Rubbermaid bin I found in the basement. Since I knew that toad was NOT coming inside I decided we could make one with no lid. The kids enjoyed watching and caring for the toad all afternoon.
When it was time to call it a day, they enjoyed setting him free...to where he belonged. Outside.

No comments: