Monday, September 13, 2010

The Pirate Pastor's Wife

This summer we were notified that a local Christian school was closing and liquidating everything within their school building. While it's always sad to see a Christian school close, those of us who homeschool were very excited to possibly purchase supplies for very little money. I felt like a pirate raiding classrooms, opening up cupboards and drawers and rifling through someone's things. Everything was in disarray. People were everywhere and stuff was flying off the shelves. You had to get a bag, grab what you wanted and quickly move on to the next room.

This sale met so many of my needs. As I sit here and type I am reminded that God knows my needs even before I do. I hadn't even prayed about these things. And actually, they weren't even needs, more conveniences. Doesn't God bless way above what we could even ask or think? Here are a few examples: I found a whole box of American and Christian flags and sorted through them in order to find a matching set so that we can pledge to them at the beginning of each school day (I had felt so terrible about neglecting this during all of last year.).

One of the things that bothered me last year was the amount of time it took to pull out math manipulatives and actually work with them. They were nicely done and very helpful in Math, but were made of paper. They would stick together because of static in the air, or they would stick to your fingers if they were the least bit sweaty! Out of exasperation I had actually gone so far as to look for plastic ones online last year, but they were so expensive. So imagine my joy when I came across the exact plastic sets at this sale! I found enough for Marshall and Shaylen to use and we have already been enjoying them. They are so much easier to manage than the paper ones, tens and hundreds! I'm looking forward to the money unit because I was also able to find a bunch of plastic & realistic looking coins as well (those paper coins had to be the most infuriating manipulatives during K-5 and 1st grade). Those will be such a blessing! There were science videos, stickers, paper, foam fractions, a craft table cover (for easy clean-up), clips and books. It felt like Christmas in July!

By far though, the steal-of-a-deal find that I got was a used Lego table top. I had seen it three times while walking through one of the classrooms, but didn't know if I should put out the $5 for it. Would that be too much of a spur-of-the moment purchase? We don't usually shop that way and I knew we wouldn't necessarily use Legos in the classroom even though Legos are extremely beneficial. After I had gone to one of the workers and purchased my three bags of loot (and this after dickering a bit). I realized that I actually hadn't spent a whole lot ($15 for everything). That was a steal for what all was in my bag. I went back to that room and considered the worn Lego table. In the end, of course, you know I bought it and it has been one of the best toy purchases ever for Marshall and Shaylen. That five dollars has provided hours upon hours upon hours of entertainment for the twins. We are definitely putting more Legos on the Christmas list. We've seen a lot of construction taking place on this tabletop. There have been obstacle courses, trees, bridges, prisons, houses, docks, trampolines and elaborate gardens. The possibilities are endless.

As if you didn't already know, I am so thankful for my brief but successful career as a pastor's wife pirate. Don't you just love a good deal?

No comments: