Sunday, May 16, 2010

Friends Of Old

Back in the ol' days, I lived in a dormitory at college. Across the hall lived my good friend Becky. I called her Becky Heckadude, only because 1.) She was hilarious and wouldn't be offended, and 2.) Her real last name was Heckathorne. We always had a wonderful time when put together. Both of us have the capacity of throwing back our heads and heartily laughing.

Fast forward a decade. Yes, even over a decade. More like 14 years. That's how long it's been since I saw Becky Heckadude. How sad! The last time we can remember seeing each other was graduation from Bob Jones University in 1996. We're both now married and have two kids. Through the wonderful tool of Faceb*ok, we were able to reconnect. Her family is preparing to head to Romania as missionaries to try and reach the gypsies. Unfortunately for us, we were unable to have them at our church (we just had Dr. K and were currently in special meetings when they were trekking through New England), but they wanted to stop by and say "hello!" Boy was I excited!

They came over two Thursdays ago and joined us for lunch at the house. The kids had a wonderful time playing together and Becky and I pulled out the ol' BJU yearbooks and chatted about old times, new times and future times. It was just so sweet for me to spend time with her. She hasn't changed a bit and we had quite a few laughs. I met her husband for the first time, and aside from him telling me that I was old and gray (just kidding Travis, just kidding!) I really liked him. You can tell I liked him because within moments I started giving him a hard time. Poor guy!

I'm not sure when they'll have their full support and head over to Romania, but I was thankful for their little detour to our area. Hopefully we'll see each other before another decade and a half roll by.

No comments: