As soon as lunch was over, the kids threw on their shoes and we trekked over to the gym. It was a good sized group of home schoolers. I would guesstimate that there were probably 30 kids there. There were 4 year olds clear through 9th graders! Fortunately, they didn't play together the whole
Marshall and Shaylen were a bit overwhelmed when they first walked in and didn't seem too eager to go and bounce the balls or play with the hula hoops. Thankfully we have some very sweet kids from our church who took them under their wing and encouraged them to go
play. After a bit of free time, the instructors had them run two laps, do arm circles, push ups & sit ups, touch their toes, and balance on one leg.The instructors separated the kids into "teams" (Hmmm, conveniently categorized by age. Nice!) and then they did some games. Marshall and Shaylen loved hopping in the hula hoops. It was fun to see how coordinated, or not so coordinated they were.
Shaylen on the other hand was a trooper! She played really well in a game of soccer and stayed right in the thick of things. She kicked the ball several times and even had a good attitude when
the ball was kicked right in her face. She did cry and I comforted her, but after a drink and a hug ran right back in. Her teacher gave her a high five for being a trooper.I couldn't tell who had more fun, the kids or the teachers. Regardless, it is a terrific program and the kids will benefit from it greatly.
6 comments:
Shaylen and Marshall - I'm so proud of you both. You just have all kinds of fun at gym. I'll see you really, really soon!
xo Grandma Sherry
How did you find out about this, from some of the homeshool moms? Its great that they are able to have gym class with kids they know. Isaiah talks about his preschool everyday. They play outside at least 2 times a day for about 1 hour each time. =)
Grandma Sherry,
You'll get to see them in action on Tuesday when you're here if you want. Cannot wait to see you next week!
XOXO
Wendy, we have two home-schooling moms in our church who used this last year and raved and raved about it. This year, we have 10 kids from our church (and several others from other good churches)who participate in this. It is really great and their friends are so sweet. It's neat to see them encourage the younger ones and help them out. What a blessing!
R U Kidding! OF COURSE I want to see them at gym! I can't wait! As long as I'm not asked to do pushups! Jumping jacks would be ok -- although I think it would register 7.0 on the richter scale!
xo Grandma Sherry
Great! Then you can come with us. No, we don't do any activities. We sit on the sidelines and enjoy them play. Today was still rough for Marshall though.
He'll get the hang of it. Maybe he's just "shy" like Jared says HE is. HA HA!
I sure do hope we can get something together like this in Fairbanks.
Love you!
Steph
Post a Comment