Wednesday, September 10, 2008

JHSA Update

The Joos Home School Academy is about to finish another week. Tomorrow will be our last day of formal studies for this week as we have our first field trip on Friday! We are going to a farm with some other home schoolers to get a tour and then work our way through the fantastic maze! Click on the link to take a look of the aerial view.

This week the focus in their Beginnings class has been on police officers. (Their "snack of the week was a traffic light!) Thankfully, it hasn't been as traumatic as the fire safety week. I haven't had any questions about criminals. They got to see a police officer, a squad car, and see all of the different things an officer has to carry. Did you know that police officers call their walkie-talkies "WT's"? Today they learned about fingerprints and made a little fingerprint mouse. It was all so exciting and new.

Marshall and Shaylen have also been learning how to read. They can easily see "here" and "is" and then work through some of the "it" and "in" families. They are so excited that they can finally "read". You and I both know this is just the beginning, but to them it is priceless. I am proud of their efforts.

In Math they have been working on pictographs. They've learned how to determine which group has fewer and which has the most. They have also been categorizing items into their own groups and figuring out which item in a group is different than the rest. It is very easy for them right now, but I know that all too soon it will be more of a challenge for them. They gradually work into the tougher concepts.

Tomorrow Marshall and Shaylen get a new reader. It is entitled Grandpa's Bible. This reader will be the first one that has words in it and they will be able to read them! I'll try and get a video of that on the blog. This last week Marshall and Shaylen enjoyed telling their stories to a very proud Uncle and Aunt from Washington. I loved listening to them be expressive and carry the plot all the way through the story. Good job kiddos!

No comments: