Friday, September 12, 2008

Corn Maze Field Trip

Today was definitely the highlight of our week. We counted down the days until we could go to the farm! I think Marshall and Shaylen were more excited about meeting the animals than the maze, but they had fun the entire morning regardless.

Every single home-school family from our church was there, plus an additional family that attends Wolfeboro Bible Church and one other home school girl. It was a great time for these kids to spend together. Once we walked over to the entrance to the maze, we split up into smaller groups and were sent through at 5 minute intervals.

The Coppal House Farm maze this year was a design of two dragonflies. You can see a picture of it here. It is professionally designed and cut. Trust me, it's harder than it looks. To help us out along the way, there were several stopping places with a mailbox. In each mailbox was a question about a dragonfly. Several answers were given in multiple choice form. With each potential answer was an option for which direction to take. If you answered correctly, you headed in the right direction. If you didn't, you got lost. Sometimes you would even come upon a sign that would say, "You're Lost". Too funny! The corn was much taller than I am (6') so you couldn't see a thing but corn and the path ahead of you. We did fairly well. (Amy Meroff and I brushed up on our dragonfly facts yesterday since I knew my kids wouldn't have a clue!) Somehow we missed the #5 mailbox but still managed to get out of the maze in a timely fashion.

After the maze we went down to the barn where we met the horses. The kids loved this! I think they would've spent the entire time there if we had let them. After the barn "tour" we headed back up the maze to conquer it again. The older kids in our group thought it would be really neat to try it backwards. We went in the exit and definitely had a harder time getting through it. I took a little video so you could see what we saw. It could get very confusing. Since I was unable to see over the cornstalks, I lost all my bearings and got all confused!

We all had a picnic lunch there at the farm. It was a great time of fellowship for all involved. This is definitely something we would want to do again.

2 comments:

js said...

I am so glad you all had a great time. Is that Marshall in the back of the pack in the video? He looks so big!

The Coffee Press said...

It is Marshall. He is getting so big! I eventually took his jacket from him because it started to drag. LOL!