Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mystery Bird

We are at a loss of what this bird is that we saw at the feeder yesterday. He/She was pretty fearful of me and flew away shortly after I snapped this shot. Any input? My guess was a Northern Mockingbird, but it's not a clear enough shot to be absolutely sure.

I got this picture today (07/05) and added it to this post. Does this help at all? Very skittish! It is definitely not picture friendly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Crystal,
Since Jared is at Jr. Camp I decided to answer the question about the bird. Mama and I looked at the book and Mama read the words and then she told me I had found the Crested Flycatcher.

(actually it is either the great crested flycatcher or the yellow-bellied flycatcher. I would need a better description to determine it (steph)).

I'm already six and I looked at the book. I guessed it was a fliercatcher. The end.

by,
Caleb

The Coffee Press said...

Boy Caleb, you're a good reader! It's hard for me to imagine that you are six!

Thanks for filling in on the detective work for Jared. I looked up the Great Crested Flycatcher and it does look similar, but this bird really didn't have a bright yellow belly. It seemed more like the Eastern Wood Pewee or maybe even the Eastern Pheobe, but didn't seem small enough for that one. He was a pretty big bird (or she).

I love you and miss you. Come and see me in NH!