Yesterday we had the 13th Annual Joos Psychedelic Christmas Cookie Decorating Fest. I cannot tell you how much we enjoy this annual tradition. It's got to be one of my favorite things during the Christmas season.
Have I told you what started it all though? Once upon a time, a long time ago, Taigen and I decided to make sugar cookies for our first Christmas together.
I accidentally doubled the recipe and we had sugar cookies coming out our ears. What were we going to do with all those cookies? We decided to frost them in a very untraditional way with funky colors and give them away. I wish we could've had pictures from that first batch of psychedelic Christmas cookies. Taigen and I had so much fun doing those that our tradition was born. Now, thirteen years later, we're enjoying that tradition with our two favorite munchkins. We had gobs of colors this year and we enjoyed decorating a triple batch (tripled on purpose) to give away (and a few to enjoy).
Have I told you what started it all though? Once upon a time, a long time ago, Taigen and I decided to make sugar cookies for our first Christmas together.
I accidentally doubled the recipe and we had sugar cookies coming out our ears. What were we going to do with all those cookies? We decided to frost them in a very untraditional way with funky colors and give them away. I wish we could've had pictures from that first batch of psychedelic Christmas cookies. Taigen and I had so much fun doing those that our tradition was born. Now, thirteen years later, we're enjoying that tradition with our two favorite munchkins. We had gobs of colors this year and we enjoyed decorating a triple batch (tripled on purpose) to give away (and a few to enjoy).
I want you all to note the Christmas tree shaped cookie that is featured on this post (left). For the first time in the three years that I've blogged about this, I am picturing one of my husband's cookies. Usually, I have a hard time discerning the difference between his and the kids'. Too funny. Be sure to contact him and tell him how beautiful, artistic and masterful it is. Maybe he'll be encouraged to branch out and get in touch with his inner-Martha Stewart more often. (Note: I did NOT picture his green camo-Christmas bear cookie...I don't think I need to explain why.) Of course, I'm joking because we really don't care what they look like. After all, they are "psychedelic Christmas cookies." The key is to have lots of fun, make a ginormous mess and stash away terrific memories, like here, here and here.

2 comments:
YUMMY!!! I always loved your "baked with love" Christmas gifts. They were really delicious and fun, too. Way to go, Taigen. I heard the Food Network may be calling soon! No really, "camo" is all the rage these days, don't you know!! I love you guys and pray all your holiday memories will be "sweet"!
Lorna
We have quite the stash going this year. Peanut Butter cups, fudge, Psychedelic Christmas Cookies and 7 layer bars! We still have Cream Cheese cookies, chocolate crinkle cookies and peanut clusters to make. Yum-O!
Love you Lorna!
Post a Comment