Sunday, May 31, 2009

Snoozing in Church

There is a three hour time difference between here and Seattle which made getting up on Sunday morning fairly difficult. Going to bed Saturday night wasn't an issue. We were all exhausted. I went to bed shortly after the kids did (7:45) and was GONE. I'm sure getting to bed that early made responding to the alarm clock this morning a little easier (plus...Taigen brought me coffee!).

Tonight, for the first time ever, Marshall fell asleep in church. He was being a good boy listening to Daddy and looking at his Bible. I felt him lean against my shoulder, which he often does. The next thing I noticed however was that he was very still. I peeked around at him and realized he was out.

Normally Taigen closes the sermon in prayer but tonight he didn't. He said something to the effect of, "Let's turn in our hymnal to page [such-n-such] and sing." Eeek! How was I going to stand up without rudely waking up our sleeping son? Fortunately for me, we have one of the most thoughtful women in our church. She too had noticed Marshall being really still and quickly whispered up to me, "Do you want me to come up there?" She came. I held Marshall's head as I stood up to go play the piano. She grabbed his head and held it as she sat down.

The piano intro didn't wake him up, the congregation singing didn't wake him up, and the closing prayer didn't wake him up. Taigen came down and picked him up but he was still out. Eventually he finally woke up in Daddy's arms. It was way too cute. It must've been the time difference and all that traveling. Either that or it was the long-winded pastor.

No comments: