Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Austria Trip - See Through Bathrooms

When I walked into the house after my wonderful morning out, the house was all a-buzz with activity. There were the six Hudsons, seven Sheltons, Meg, Tammy, Taigen, and Kaylea the dog. It was hilarious. I was not in the house long. We took some pictures and said brief goodbyes (because we knew we would see them all on Sunday when Taigen and I were going to do our sacred concert). I did take this photo of the Hudsons. It turned out so good! What a great time we had with them!

Sarah, Grace (and baby Kirsten) and I were going to go out to lunch. Unbeknownst to me, we were going to head right back in to the Stephansplatz. So, we got on the bus, got on the tram, and ended up right where I had just left. Sarah said to me, "I should have just met you here!" I told her that this would have eliminated half of my wonderful challenge from the morning. 

Sarah had a restaurant in mind to take us. Please make note of this. This is something to tuck away as you read the rest of my story.

It was a bustling little restaurant located near St. Stephen's Cathedral. It took quite the effort to get the stroller in. Folks had to move their chairs and tables in order for us to get to our booth. We ordered our lunch and enjoyed some conversation. Lunch took quite a while to arrive, but once it did we enjoyed it immensely. Before we were to leave, Sarah, in a motherly fashion said, "We should hit the bathrooms before we head home. Crystal you go first." Now, I didn't particularly have to use the restroom, but I wasn't about to contradict such a direct statement from Sarah, so I obediently got up and headed in. Grace followed me. 

The first thing I noticed were the stalls. A lady was opening the stall door and I observed that they were SEE-THROUGH. I noticed it and told Grace, "I think I can wait" and started to turn to leave. Grace grabbed my arm and said, "No. Wait! See? When you go in, shut the door and lock it, the doors fog up and a Do Not Enter symbol is projected on it." I waited (because I was skeptical). A lady went in a stall.  I was able to see her close the door, but when her hand turned the lock, the stall doors fogged up and a Do Not Enter light was projected on the stall door. It was one of the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Of course, I used the bathroom (in order to still obey Sarah) and when I came out of the restroom, Sarah was howling! Grace took one look at her and knew that the whole thing had been one huge joke...on ME! She said she had thought it unusual that Sarah already had a restaurant in mind for this day because when they've gone out before, she's always been one of indecision. I laughed so hard! I, too, had thought it strange that she should tell me to go to the bathroom, but I had chalked it up to the fact that she knew what we would be doing and her motherly instincts kicked in. Now I know! My only regret is that I didn't get a picture, but who takes pictures in bathrooms?

We left the restaurant still laughing and made our way around the Stephansplatz. We went to an ice cream shop that Grace said was one of the best and I ordered the most delicious coconut ice cream that I have ever had. Maybe I should be thankful that I can only get this amazingly wonderful ice cream in Vienna! I'd want to eat it every day. It was really neat to walk and talk around the Stephansplatz and hear about a few things from them. They offered tidbits and historical stories that I would otherwise not have known about. After a while, we had to split. This was transition time. Taigen had already left with Stan and the boys and was at their house busily painting. I said my good-bye to Sarah and finished up the excursion with Grace. I was soon to head home with her for the second half of our trip. What a fun, hilarious and memorable afternoon it had been!

No comments: