Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Austria Trip - First Half of the Day: Durnstein

Halfway to the Top of Durnstein
This morning we got up and got some breakfast. Of course, I don't speak German, but I picked out something from the cupboard that looked like granola. Apparently, I was correct and it was really, really good. I was thinking as I was munching on it that I wished I could replicate it here at home. 

Today we are going to head to Durnstein. If you want a quick history lesson, click on the link! In a nutshell, it's a little town nestled sweetly next to the Danube. It's claim to fame is a ruined castle located at the top of a big hill. King Richard the Lionhearted was held captive here during the 3rd Crusade. It's so exciting to learn about all of this old, old history!

It's apricot season here, as I mentioned in my last post. We had apricot pretzels to munch on as we headed toward the top. Apricot pretzels you say? Yes! They looked just like those ginormous pretzels that you can get at Auntie Anne's Pretzels, complete with the coarse salt-looking sugar crystals on the exterior. They were sweet, moist and delicious. I'm not a huge fan of big salty pretzels, but these I could get used to!

When we first arrived at Durnstein, I kept looking around for the castle. Nate pointed it out to me. "It's up there." It's up, up, up high on a hill and that's where we were headed. Thankfully, it was a pleasant day so I wouldn't be fainting from heat and exhaustion. It was quite the workout (think: stair-step machine), and I realized how out of shape I was even with all the walking and running we've been doing on the treadmill at home! There were places to stop and look out over the Danube and the little village down below. This is wine country and the neat rows of vines were picturesque too. We stopped for a rest just below the castle and caught our breath. Taigen, Claire and Benny climbed a huge rock where a French tourist offered to take their photo (pictured above).

We finally made it to the top, and boy was it all worth it! The view was spectacular. Sarah handed out thick bread to go with Gouda cheese (they pronounce it gow-da, not goo-da) and salami. We also munched on apples and carrots. There was a cool breeze at the top and it felt wonderful. Taigen and Benny locked themselves up in King Richard's "prison", I took lots and lots of pictures (I've put several at the end of this post), and we just enjoyed ourselves immensely.  It is a beautiful area and I'm so glad the Hudsons brought us here. Before we left, we thought the acoustics in the prison cell were excellent so we went in and sang "Amazing Grace" with Sarah and Claire. 
 
When we came down we looked in the shops and just gaped at the beautiful architecture. I especially love the geraniums in the window boxes and the ivy climbing on the walls. We purchased some juice and then made our way down to the river. Sarah had told us that when the BJU German team was there, it had been a very hot day. They were so hot and exhausted from the trek up the hill that when they got down to the Danube, some of the guys just jumped right in! We didn't go that far, but we did take off our shoes and enjoy the cool water. I have to say that I was wondering as I looked at the Danube...what was Strauss thinking when he named it The Blue Danube? It looked more green to me. Maybe it used to be blue?  Here are some lines from the poem that was written to accompany Strauss' music. It's fairly lengthy, so I'll only include a few stanzas...but I thought they were appropriate to where we were and what we had just seen.

Danube so bright and blue,
through vale and field
you flow so calm,
our Vienna greets you,
your silver stream
through all the lands
you merry the heart
with your beautiful shores.

Far from the Black Forest
you hurry to the sea
giving your blessing
to everything.
Eastward you flow,
welcoming your brothers,
A picture of peace
for all time!
Old castles looking
down from high,
greet you smiling
from their steep
and craggy hilltops,
and the mountains' vistas
mirror in your dancing waves.

Stop your tides at Vienna,
it loves you so much!
Whenever you might look
you will find nowhere like Vienna!
Here pours a full chest
the charms of happy wishes,
and heartfelt German wishes
are flown away on your waters.


On our way home, the van was quiet. Claire and Benny dozed and I think Sarah nodded off as well. It had been a great day. We came home and Taigen and I packed up. We were off to a night in a hotel. Our deacons had suggested a time in between the two homes (Hudson's and Shelton's). We were able to procure a hotel from a discount website and it was located close to the heart of Vienna. Taigen and I were going to attempt to explore the city by ourselves (more on that later). So, we got home and got ready to head into the city. We didn't have to say good-bye quite yet. Taigen was going to have breakfast with Todd and Stan in the morning and I was to meet up with Sarah and Grace for lunch the next day. Plus, Taigen and I were going to do a sacred concert on Sunday. Todd and Sarah were going to pass on the appropriate information to their church people because they had wanted to attend. So, we'll see them all then. 

We had a wonderful stay with the Hudsons. We felt so comfortable and welcome. The opportunity to see them, their children, their home, their ministry in person was something that is priceless. They are truly a family that loves the Lord and desire to share the gospel with the people of Vienna.












1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I just love all the window boxes full of flowers. So quaint and pretty.