Monday, March 7, 2011

HBC Homeschool Fine Arts Recital

One of our homeschool moms organized a homeschool fine arts recital again this year. It was scheduled long ago, but then about 75% of our kids, including our munchkins got hit with The Plague so there would have only been a few participating. It got rescheduled. Then, we were supposed to have it at the end of February. That day instead of getting 3 inches of snow in the morning, we got 7 inches and it snowed ALL day. It got rescheduled again. We were finally able to have it this past Friday night.

Remember last year's? It was a huge success! This year, Marshall and Shaylen were so excited to participate and worked really hard on their piano pieces. We were proud as punch of all of the Heritage kids as the recital was really wonderful. Marshall and Shaylen did a great job as well. This was their first time playing piano at a recital. Hopefully it will be the first of many.

The kids involved did a plethora of speeches and music (vocal, strings or piano), so there was a nice variety. After the recital part of things, we were directed downstairs to view all of the artwork that the kids submitted. We have a talented group of kids at Heritage! The drawings, photos and crafts were really, really good.

Marshall drew a castle (don't die from shock that it wasn't an airplane) and Shaylen drew a dragonfly. Shaylen wanted me to be sure to clarify to people that she was "taught" how to draw a dragonfly by a how-to book. It had step-by-step instructions. It's so funny how this was so very important to her. She didn't want to be accused of tracing or of cheating. She is a darling girl!


I am posting the video of the kids playing their piano pieces. Just so you know, Marshall asked that I not post his recital video. He lost his place on the piano on the very last chords so there was a small mistake. While it is small in the grand scheme of things to us adults (and I really couldn't be prouder), it was a HUGE ordeal for my little man. I thought he was going to cry. When I downloaded the videos from off the camera this morning he really was embarrassed, teared up and practically begged me to not show anyone. I promised him I wouldn't. I "compromised" and said that he could play it for me this afternoon and I would share it with you all.  We all know mistakes happen and he will learn and grow by this. One day he will look back on the video and not be so mortified.

I'm so thankful for the fact that there are lots of other wonderful, dedicated homeschool families in our church so that we can do this kind of thing. It is a wonderful opportunity for our munchkins.

3 comments:

js said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
js said...

They did a great job! I love Marshall's sweet smile at the end of his video. So cute. The drawings are great too!

Grammie in Alaska said...

Such talented grandkids I have!! I am so proud of you guys. Hugs and kisses. Great drawings and wonderful piano pieces. You know Marshall, I would really not worry about your mistakes. You practiced hard and did your very best. God knew what was in your heart, Honey. He was pleased and that is all that matters. I love you both very much. Keep up the great work!!