Saturday, March 19, 2011

Would You Like That Supersized?

Today was our much-anticipated Spaghetti Dinner and Men's Dessert Contest at the church. This is probably our most popular fellowship because it is just SO much fun! The guys pretend to not be serious about the desserts they make and bring, but trust me, they are! Taigen worked and worked on an idea and researched it on the internet. He even watched tutorials! I think the fact that we get Food Network now on our itty bitty cable plan has not helped matters either. Words like "fondant," "ganache," and "blast chiller" have been rolling off of his tongue lately. What is this world coming to?

Sooo, Taigen got in touch with his inner Duff Goldman yesterday and today and put together this supersized dessert that would make any man's mouth water. The burger is basically a yellow cake with a brownie in the middle, fondant tomatoes, lettuce and cheese and frosting for the mustard, ketchup and mayo.
I love how he even sprinkled the sesame seeds on the top for the effect. The steak fries are shortbread cookies that are outstanding! We all loved them! I think he had a lot of fun making it.

  
Can you imagine how much I laughed when we saw another man walk in with his dessert, unveil it and lo and behold! It was another burger & fries and a milkshake to boot! How funny is that? What are the odds of that happening? Allan is notorious at our church for making award-winning cakes. Remember last year's vegetable cake? and the year before? and the year before that?  This year was no exception. He won in the category for most creative. I don't think anyone was surprised. He is just SO good!

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to taste the Best Looking dessert, but I was thrilled because it was entered by a guy who just joined our church a few months ago. We love him and his lovely wife already! His dessert looked light and fluffy and then had a yummy berry drizzle on top. Very tempting. I'd say that winning on his first try was a great introduction to the Men's Dessert Contest, wouldn't you?

The best tasting award went to one of our teens, Matt Dustin. He made a maple dessert that, according to Taigen, was just AMAZING. Kudos to him! I was impressed!

It was a wonderful night. The spaghetti and meatballs (made by our HBC ladies) were outstanding. There were salads and homemade bread too. Let's just say that if anyone went home hungry, it was their own fault. I absolutely love our church family and have so much fun with them! If you're ever in our area mid-March. Plan on joining us for this memorable occasion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taigen - you amaze me! Loved your cake! All of them are so cool! Glad you had a good time. Keep practicing. Maybe some year you'll actually win! <3 xo Mom

Unknown said...

It was amazing! The guys always out do themselves. Great job Pastor!!