There comes a time in the life of all New Englanders when they begin to experience frost heaves. Contrary to my early definition (about 9 years ago), this is not when you finally get sick of snow (although I've been hearing people start to gripe about it). It is when the soil expands and contracts during the winter. The result is a bunch of huge bumps in the road. This makes for an interesting road trip! We have several frost heaves that we hit on our way home, but one in particular is so large, it makes the kids and me laugh each time we go over it. So far there has been no sign posted warning the unsuspecting driver of the approaching heave, but the kids and I know it's there and always look forward to it. I have thrill issues, I know...
Friday, February 13, 2009
Heave Ho!
There comes a time in the life of all New Englanders when they begin to experience frost heaves. Contrary to my early definition (about 9 years ago), this is not when you finally get sick of snow (although I've been hearing people start to gripe about it). It is when the soil expands and contracts during the winter. The result is a bunch of huge bumps in the road. This makes for an interesting road trip! We have several frost heaves that we hit on our way home, but one in particular is so large, it makes the kids and me laugh each time we go over it. So far there has been no sign posted warning the unsuspecting driver of the approaching heave, but the kids and I know it's there and always look forward to it. I have thrill issues, I know...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hehe! You need to get out more. If you want a REAL thrill you need to drive (or ride for that matter) in Zambia! :)
I remember the 1st time I saw a frost heave warning sign...all these question came to mind until we drove over it....questions answered.
Post a Comment