We had record lows here this past week. Before we went to bed Thursday night we were a bit concerned about the laundry room because we haven't gotten the new insulated door on it yet. It was supposed to get super-cold overnight and we didn't want the pipes freezing and exploding like last time, especially since Dan, Nate and Taigen had just fixed it! We took the necessary precautions by placing a small oil heater (don't worry...it was safe) in the room to keep it warm.I had worked hard all week to get ready for seven very special guests: Brennen and Lydia and their five cute munchkins were going to come for dinner on Friday and stay the night and spend a leisurely Saturday with us. What a special treat.
When Taigen woke me up yesterday morning, I knew something was up. He was supposed to be at church already since I knew he had wanted to get to church fairly early. He said, "We have another frozen pipe. The heat isn't working on the main floor again." I groaned. How could that pipe in the laundry room have frozen again? Taigen ran to church to get some things so he could study at home.
Thankfully, the heat upstairs and in the classroom were working so we were able to have school yesterday in a comfortable climate. Taigen paced like a caged animal, checking here and there looking for the culprit all day. I'm afraid he didn't get any studying done.
We called the Jorgensens and had to cancel. It was so disappointing, but we knew it was for the best. It would not be relaxing for them to have to clean up a mess should our pipe burst.
Dan Perdue graciously came over again after work and went through the house with Taigen to find the guilty pipe. Only after feeling along every pipe and eventually cutting through drywall in the laundry room did they finally find it. Thankfully it wasn't frozen hard and a bit of hair dryer magic loosened up the slush to get the heat working again. God is so good! Had that pipe been frozen rock hard and then exploded, that mess would have been so hard to clean up. It was in a very hard-to-reach spot: in the wall behind the dryer, running between the main part of the house and the garage/guest suite addition. Taigen had to lay on his belly and shove insulation in there with some sort of tool.Poor Dan, he was at our house until close to 11 o'clock! All he would accept from us was a piece of my chocoloate chip cookie dough cheesecake that I had made for the Jorgys. I sent one home to his wife as payment for letting us borrow her handyman hubby. I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did giving it.
Thankfully our living room is warm again and hopefully (PLEASE!) all of the non-insulated pipes have finally been sufficiently taken care of so that this won't happen again.
No comments:
Post a Comment