Tuesday, January 13, 2009

4 Pokes + 4 Pokes = Lots of Tears

We just got back from Marshall and Shaylen's Five Year check-up. This was the first time they have been to the doctor in a while. It was also the first time they have been to this doctor. She was a gem and the kids loved her. She made the mistake of asking Marshall if he could draw. He nodded his head and she asked, "What do you like to draw?" You know the answer: airplanes. Then she made a second mistake. She asked him if he could draw a simple airplane on a piece of paper. Pshaw! He started drawing and proceeded to do one of his infamous drawings and wowed her. She said she would hang it up. She liked Shaylen's picture of a sunflower and promised to hang that up as well.

I'm thankful to say that they both are developing very well. Weights and heights are just over the the 75% mark and are proportionately great. The doctor said that they are speaking well (we all knew Shaylen could!), developing well both mentally and physically, and are very healthy. It was a great visit and I'm very impressed with the doctor.

However, the visit had to end with immunizations. Both Marshall and Shaylen don't remember having their previous ones so it was a new experience. I made the mistake of having Shaylen go first AND keeping Marshall in the room while she got them. (Dumb, Crystal...truly dumb.) Shaylen put on a brave face with her first two, but cried out with the 3rd and 4th. Poor baby. Even I cried! And then, it was Marshall's turn. He wanted none of it. There was a bit of a struggle and he started crying way before they even got the needles out, but it got done quickly. The good news is that they won't need pokes again for 6 years. Hallelujah! I think it's harder for me to watch all of it.

Other than four sore arms, the kids are back to their cheerful selves and have two Band-Aids, two stickers and one pencil to show for their check-up.

Shaylen's Stats:
43 pounds
44 1/2 inches tall

Marshall's Stats:
47 pounds
46 inches tall

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being so brave, my sweet punkin doodles!

js said...

Okay, I had to laugh that you had Shaylen go first. Didn't drink enough coffee yesterday or something? lol! Well, I am glad you all made it through okay. (It is beyond me why they need to poke kids in multiples of 4 and above, but I won't start on that.) You know how much I hate needles so I sympathize with the poor kids! Here's to 6 years without another such trama! :)

Anonymous said...

I am not looking forward to Isaiah's 5 year check-up either. Hannah first series, I think she ended up having 5 plus a liquid for the rotavirus. I felt so bad for her. Isaiah is about the same height and weight as Shaylen.

The Coffee Press said...

I felt badly for them. It was a small examination room and it was hot. Marshall's ears were bright red! The doctor left and three nurses came in. Shaylen was in Taigen's lap and they did one in each arm at the same time. I think I'd faint! Then they did the second round. That's when Shaylen cried out. No wonder Marshall didn't want anything to do with it. I don't think I would either after watching it.

It brought up a good conversation that sometimes what is best isn't always the easy way or the way that they would like.