Yesterday we had a few more friends come to the bird feeder. We had a pair of cardinals (one male and female). The female is not as brightly colored. But as they were together, it made the identification process a whole lot easier for me! (I'm sorry the picture is so fuzzy, but it was the best one I got of her.)
This second one reminds me a lot of the chipping sparrow, but he had yellow around his beak instead of the rust colored feathers. So, as of right now, I have no clue what kind of bird he is. Any guesses?As I was making dinner I looked out the kitchen window and spotted a pair of mourning doves. If they had held still, I would have never guessed they were there they blended in with their surroundings so
well! They walked around and around and pecked to their heart's content.Shortly after dinner Taigen said, "Look at the pigeons sitting on the rock."
"Pigeons?" I asked. I hadn't seen ANY pigeons yet.
I looked. It took me a while to spot them, but there sitting on the rock were the mourning doves. They were obviously full and very content. They were so
still.I told Taigen that they were not pigeons. He made some joke about them not being able to be "morning" doves because it was evening and they were out and about. I rolled my eyes. [He cracks me up. Well...let's be technical. I didn't crack up...I groaned. If I were faster on my comebacks, I would have said, "No, they are surely mourning doves, because they are sad your jokes are so terrible!" Oh well...live and learn.]
5 comments:
I have tried before to send a coment but it never worked. Now, 'I'll try to follow your instructions and see if I can do it. I love your blog. Marie D
You did it! I'm so glad you figured out how. Now you can "blog".
Aunt Crystal,
You were right about the sparrow part. But this one is a perfect example of a male White-throated Sparrow. Great picture!
Hugs and kisses, Jared
Jared,
Do you have a book on birds? How do you find all of these so fast?!?!?
Give my love to Caleb, David and Baby Ethan!
Hugs and Kisses to you!
You're so smart!
Aunt Crystal
Aunt Crystal,
I do have a bird book. It has stickers and a place to write down comments and when you saw it. It is called The Beginning Birdwatchers book. But most of the birds we have identified from The North American Wildlife Book by Reader's Digest. It has everything from Birds to plants, Mammals to mollusks.
Hugs and kisses to cousins and my Uncle...and to you! Jared
Post a Comment