Thursday, September 20, 2007

What IS that?

The other day I looked out onto our yard. I noticed something bright & yellow attached to our neighbor's tree. At first, I thought it was a bright, yellow bow put there in honor of our troops, but it seemed an odd spot for something so meaningful and it didn't have a ribbon tied around the tree in order to attach it. The more I looked, the more perplexed I became. It was not a bow...it was something growing...and it's already the size of a big melon.

Upon closer inspection, my take is that it is fungus, but I'm curious if anyone out there is a botanist and knows what exactly this tumor is? It makes me go ewwwwwww!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Crystal,

I think I have found what this is. It is a mushroom called
"Laetiporus sulphureus aka "The Chicken of the woods". The gross thing about is that it is edible. Here is a website I found www.mushroomexpert.com. I hope this solves the mystery for you!!

Unknown said...

Hi Crystal - I emailed this to my "tree guy" (actually our pastor's son who is an arborist and has a tree service) this is his reply: "It looks like a fruiting body, like a series of mini conks piled on each other,
showing rot probably on the outside of the tree; but because of the size, it is
likely the rot goes all the way to the center, pssibly the other side of the tree.
With the number of trees in the group, it appears they could remove this one without
damage to the root system. It would be good to look at the crown to see if there is
any decline in the leaves of this stem, which would probably be on one side of the
top of the leaves." Hope it helps!

Unknown said...

oops forgot to put in their "ad" he, he!! www.creationproperties.net

The Coffee Press said...

Wow...you ladies are GOOD. However...I don't think I'm going to be shaving any off and serving it along with my stuffed bell peppers any time soon. YUCK!

I'll notify my neighbors the next time they are out. I hope it isn't contagious and decides to share with my trees!!! Ewwwwww.