Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Demise of Our Bugs

The bugs should be high-tailing it to the neighbors' yards by now. They have been terrorized by a new contraption that has made it's grand appearance in the Joos household. It was a gift given by Kyle and the boys for Christmas, but of course, everyone knows that there are no bugs to be found outside in Maine during the winter season unless, of course, they are already dead and encrusted in ice. I hate bugs. I love the winter!

Ah! But it is now spring.

The gift? The Bug Vacuum. It was obviously invented by a woman. Or at least, I would like to think so. (Have I mentioned that I hate bugs?)

The innocent, unsuspecting bug is suctioned up by this contraption in order to be observed through a microscopic lens. Gone are the days of Dixie cups or grabbing a bug with a flimsy Kleenex! You might accidently touch the creepy little thing! With The Bug Vacuum, your skin never comes in contact with a bug or spider again. (I hate touching bugs.)

For those bug's rights activists out there, there is no harm done to the bugs and they can be safely returned to their natural habitat if you so desire. Disclaimer: We have not caught any spiders as of yet, since you have to be within a foot of a bug/arachnid in order to operate the Bug Vacuum. (Just so you know, I hate bugs.) Should we actually suck up a spider, it would probably NOT be released into it's natural habitat. Most likely, in it's attempt to crawl back into the safety of the grass, it would be accidently squished while I did a quick hop, skip, two-step to the other side of the yard. (I hate spiders too.) Oh...did I do that?

In the meantime, the kids are enjoying their bug friends up close. The Bug Vacuum is a popular toy...not for bugs, for the kids.

No comments: