If you have looked at the blog for any extended period of time, you know that I love to make cards. There's a little rectangle on the right sidebar that "advertises" the cards I make and list for sale in my Etsy shop. Etsy has proven to be a wonderful vehicle for earning a little bit of extra cash. I mostly sell my handmade, handstamped cards, but one thing has brought in some business that I didn't expect.
Many of you know that my step-mom works for Leanin' Tree greeting cards. She is the manager of the sales department. Let me just tell you that she is very good at what she does. She is a hard worker, a wonderful manager, and a very valuable employee. She is able to purchase cards right there at her company so she doesn't typically need cards from me. She has expressed an interest in me making cards for her so that she could give gift cards as thank you's or encouragements. She needed gift card holders. So this was my inspiration, but how could I do it?
I had gotten a gift card from a company for my birthday last year. It had come in a gift card holder that was so nice, but simple. I carefully tore it apart to see how they had assembled it.
"I bet I could do something like this." I said.
I took a scrap piece of paper, and an old gift card, and played with it. I figured out where to score the paper, how to fold it and place my adhesive, and how to get it to stay closed. It was easy. So, I made a couple and put them in my shop. They weren't expensive and weren't fancy-schmancy, but they were a big hit.
So far, I've been able to sell custom-made gift card holders to many individual customers, three salons, a photographer, and most recently Judith Bright, a jewelry designer who has locations in Tennessee and Georgia (with another location preparing to open up in LA). It was quite an honor to prepare her gift card holders and I had a lot of fun. Her work is amazing. To be honest, it's somewhat intimidating to be working with someone on this scale. I want to make sure that even these little gift card holders match her quality of product!
I'm currently working on her second of three batches. She's a gem to work with and I appreciate the business.
| Judith Bright's first batch, ready to have her logo attached. |
| I LOVE her colors: dark brown & a pretty pale aqua. |
| All packaged up and ready to ship! |
No comments:
Post a Comment