Saturday, June 13, 2009

Why The Silence?

Before I get in trouble with my prayer warriors (i.e. Marie & Grandma Rutledge), I thought I had better write something...anything on here!

Just kidding. It's been a beautiful week here! Most would probably have done without the rain, but it kept things nice and cool, and cool = savings on the electricity bill. This is the latest ever that we have not put the A/C units in some windows. We've been in New England now since 2000 and they've always been in by Memorial Day. That doesn't mean we use them non-stop from Memorial Day on, but it gets hot and humid often enough to warrant putting them in.

With the weather being so nice, we've been able to get outside and do quite a bit of landscaping. There are a number of "flower" beds on our property. I put "flower" in quotations because there aren't too many flowers in those beds. There are a lot of bushes, trees & a lot of weeds, but not too many flowers. We've been saving money for the past year knowing that we were going to be changing that this spring.

Last year we purposely didn't do much with our yard. We wanted to see what was going to come up before we made any changes.I went over to a local greenhouse and found some nice perennials to go in our front & back gardens: peonies, hydrangeas, poppies, daisies, coneflowers & black eyed susans (and some strawberry plants too...I couldn't resist!). Before we could plant them we needed to weed! There used to be a path in our front "Cinderella" garden (called the Cinderella garden due to the stone bench that has been placed there), but it had disappeared over time and some spreading plant had taken over. Those got pulled up and Taigen and I put down a black barrier to hopefully keep the weeds at bay.

We ordered five, yes, FIVE yards of mulch to go in the various beds around the house. It came on Monday and with two buckets and the kids' wagon, the kids and I mulched the front bed. Don't feel sorry for me, the wheelbarrow was coming that evening with Taigen on his way home from dropping the teens off at The WILDS of New England Christian Camp. Plus...the exercise was good! It was a beautiful afternoon and there was no reason why the kids and I couldn't do it and get completely filthy while helping (& surprising Daddy) get the job done. Marshall and Shaylen were HUGE helpers. They were the best spreader-outers and never complained of the work. They only ditched me right at the end when their scooters started calling for them. While they were happy and entertained I did a smaller flower bed near the house. Needless to say, we were exhausted by the time we went in to eat dinner.

We've since finished the front of the house and Taigen will be getting the back flower bed this afternoon while I am speaking at a ladies' banquet down in Manomet Bible Church in Massachusetts. I'm thinking the mulch will finally be gone by the time I get home.

I'll try to post some pictures in the near future.

No comments: