Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Starting to Wrap Things Up

As of this afternoon, the kids have only 13 lessons left of Kindergarten. We have had so much fun this year and the kids have really worked hard. It's hard to believe that we've so quickly completed almost all of the160 prescribed lessons. I'm so very thankful for the ministry of BJU Press. The kids are getting a quality education and I have the opportunity to sit right with them and encourage them along (while also being a Pause Button fanatic so they have to answer all the questions their teachers ask!).

Some of you might be wondering why we're finishing so early. Well, we started way back in early August, didn't take two weeks at Christmas, a week for "Winter Break" or a week for "Spring Break." We also have the benefit of not having to take snow days when we get dumped on in New England. If you're a frequent reader of this blog, you know this happens frequently during the winter months! Lest you think I'm a slave driver & meanie for pushing them too hard, it's the kids' fault! They have begged me to even do school on Saturdays up until about a month ago when I finally made it clear that we do not do school on Saturdays and Sundays. They have also begged me on regular school days to allow them to do extra lessons (They say, "Can we do another Mrs. White? or Mrs. Lawson?") and often I've complied. It's hard to tell them "no" to learning. We have taken some days off, just not nearly as many as the public schools do.

The kids are itching to get outside and play. Our very last patch of snow melted this morning. It finally feels AND looks like spring. We've been on the lookout for familiar birds at the feeder & flowers poking out of the ground. The crocuses at church have made their appearance and they are a beautiful vibrant purple.

I've put up some pictures from today at school. Yesterday they made a hand wreath that said "I want to serve God." We've been singing "Little Hands to Work for Jesus" so that they realize that they can serve the Lord using those precious little hands. That is our prayer for them. We want them to be used by God no matter what.

1 comment:

js said...

Wow! It doesn't seem possible...sniff, sniff! I am so proud of them!!!!! (Have I mentioned that before? Hehe!) Tell them to look for something in the mail!!!!