Saturday, April 25, 2009

K-5 Is Done

As predicted, we were able to finish the K-5 program this Friday. I wondered if it was going to get accomplished this week since we didn't have school on Thursday. We had dear friends from Falmouth, ME stop in and visit us. The Gauthiers had planned to see us during their winter break, but the plague (okay, so it was food poisoning or some other such stomach bug) hit their family and they were unable to come down. They joined us at church on Wednesday evening and spent the night at the Joos Bed and Breakfast. We had such a great time with them. Good friends are such a blessing!

Friday morning we went up to the classroom earlier than normal and started plugging away. The last lessons were so cute! I love how they put together video and picture montages (with strains of Pomp and Circumstance in the background) from the year so that the kids could remember all of the fun lessons and neat visitors that had periodically popped into their classroom. Their Hippity-Hop friend "Hopscotch" (a 6' rabbit!) graduated from Kindergarten as well. The kids loved the "Poetry Party." All of their teachers from K-5 Beginnings came and recited their favorite poems.

The blessing of those DVD's is that they have so many more resources than I ever would. The blessing of having home-schooled twins and doing the DVD's is that I can sit right there with them and still play a huge part in their education (remember, I'm a pause button fanatic)...just not have to spend hours in lesson preparation. I am ever so thankful for BJU Press. The program was unbelievably well done.

I am so proud of how hard the kids worked this year. Taigen asked me last night what I loved most about this year and I told him that I loved watching the "light" come on in their heads as they discovered new things.

We celebrated last night by taking the kids to Friendly's after dinner for some ice cream. We wanted to do something special for them to reward them for a year of hard work! I think last night was the beginning of a great end-of-the-school-year tradition. I don't think the kids realize that we're done with school now for about 3 months. Marshall said last night that we're going to take "a little bitty break" from school. Who wants to bet that they will ask if we can "do school" next week?

4 comments:

js said...

Yeah! Good work Marshall and Shaylen! I am very proud of you!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of your hard work, Shaylen and Marshall. And for yours, Crystal. I know it's been lots of fun, too.

And now you're first graders. Way to go.

xoxoxoxo Grandma

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Marshall and Shaylen.You've finished Kindergarten! And what a great way to celebrate. Ice cream is my very favorite treat!
Good work, Crystal and good luck with holding out for a 3 MONTH break!!! I bet the twins will be more than ready before that.
Love to all :) Lorna

Anonymous said...

This is a great tradition to start. Congratulations Marshall and Shaylen for completing kindergarten. Isaiah will be starting next fall at CBA, he is so excited already.