Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Speed Bump

On Sunday morning, I was driving us to church. (It's easier for a man in pants to crawl into the back of our minivan.) Before I got on the turnpike I noticed a very small, but brave (or very dense) turtle making his attempt at crossing a four lane highway. I missed him and so did the car behind me, but I thought, "He's never going to make it."

I told the kids, "I just saw a turtle!" Of course, he's way behind us now, but they eagerly look outside the windows as I stop at the stoplight in hopes of spotting him too.

There is construction on the road before the turnpike as well as on the merge onto it. Shortly before you merge, there is a considerable construction BUMP from where they (I hope) will be eventually smoothing out the road.

When we turned at the stoplight and started to merge, we hit that bump pretty hard and Shaylen pipes up from the back. "Mommy, was that the turtle?" Ewwww.

By the way, on the way back to church Sunday night, I saw no signs of turtle roadkill. He must've made it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom mentioned something about you shooing said turtle off the road. Is this the same incident? Did you conveniently leave out your act of heroism?

Then let me add for all to know: Crystal Joos is a super-turtle hero...saving defensless turtles anywhere she can! (Can you tell I'm the mother of four boys?) HE HE! :-)

The Coffee Press said...

Ha! No, this was not the heroic act episode. That episode came later on. It was probably more stupidity, but I didn't want to see turtle roadkill every time I drove home until a major rainstorm washed it away. Ewwww.

Did Mom mention that she wanted me to pick it up and bring it home? No thank you!!!