Sunday, June 29, 2008

For the Birds

It's been busy in our yard since Mom was able to set us up with the handy-dandy squirrel proof bird feeder. Mom would probably have not wanted to leave if she knew all the activity we were going to get. The squirrels are probably a bit miffed since they can no longer pig out at our expense. Now they only can munch on the crumbs that are spilled over the edge by birds that are skittish or in a hurry (Blue Jays and White Breasted Nuthatches) or by those who dig around rummaging for their favorite seeds (Chickadees).

While Paul and Sandra were here, we looked out at the bird feeder to see a beautiful bird that we had never seen before. It was a Rose Breasted Grosbeak (Pictured Above Left). He is a fairly large bird and has a very distinctive beak! I was thankful that he wasn't afraid of me so that I could get right up to the door in order to photograph him. I love his colors. The very next day we were able to see the female Grosbeak at the green feeder. She sat there and munched for quite awhile (Right).

Today we noticed that the feeder was quite busy. We saw lots and lots of Blue Jays flying back and forth, Chipping Sparrows, White Breasted Nuthatches, a Gray Catbird & several Tufted Titmice. I looked outside while sorting through some music and noticed some activity at my suet feeder. Hoorah! A new bird! I quickly grabbed my camera and hoped it wouldn't fly away before I could snap a shot. Come to find out, it was a female Hairy Woodpecker. She came back several times and I was able to manage to get a picture that I really liked.

After a while, I moved from the loveseat to a chair in front of the patio door so that I might catch any other newcomers. I worked on my music and glanced up now and then to see what was going on at the feeder, camera in hand, ready to snap photographs. (Call me strange, but it IS fascinating!) Another new bird came to the pole and gradually worked his way up. It was a male Downy Woodpecker. He was quite a bit smaller than the female Hairy Woodpecker. He cautiously examined everything before he decided on the suet as well. Doesn't this picture on the right make you imagine that he is saying, "Hmmm! This looks pretty good!" He is looking at the grape jelly that we set out to attract the Orioles.

You know I've been sporadically seeing the hummingbirds out and about and always been too late to snap a picture. Not anymore!!! I was so excited to see a male and female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (at separate times) at their feeder today. They were there long enough for me to grab my camera and walk over and snap up some lovely portraits of them. I posted larger, zoomed in photos below so that you can see how pretty they are! I am thrilled. Many, many thanks again to Danette Rogers (SC) who sent me the wonderful bird book by Roger Tory Peterson so that I can figure out these wonderful creatures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We occasionally have the rose-breasted grosbeaks, too! I get all excited when they come by. Tim is excited when we have brown-headed nuthatches, bcs his Uncle George, who was a card-carrying member of the Audubon Society, had never seen one of those. We LOVE all the different kinds of woodpeckers. Love to all!

Mrs. Rogers

The Coffee Press said...

We haven't seen any brown-headed nuthatches here...yet. The book says that they are more common down where you are.

I love how the woodpeckers look too! As long as they don't decide they love my house I'll stay happy. Hee hee We've had friends have issues with woodpeckers.

Hugs and our greetings to your family!
CJ