Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Passing the Torch
Shortly after the twins were born, my friend Janelle would come over and help me stamp and make cards, help pick up toys, help with the twins, or help beat me at Dutch Blitz.
Yes, you read that right. She taught me how to play the game and then proceeded to clobber me. We would have long tournaments after the twins went to bed at night. Taigen and Janelle could hold their own, but I was Beetle-Bomb trailing behind. Janelle would get so excited that she would pound the table, slamming her cards down. (I still claim that there are indentations on my table from Janelle's rings.) She would then yell "BLITZ!" finishing the round in record time. More often than not, I was left with about 9 in my Blitz pile. It was humiliating.
However, I got better. Soon, I no longer had a negative score at the end of each round. Soon I could hold my own. And then, on one very wonderful day, I actually beat Janelle. I should've marked it on my calendar, but it is forever etched in my memory. It was a glorious day.
We have now decided that it is time to train up our children in all things wonderful.
Like playing Dutch Blitz.
They picked up on it very quickly and have come to love the game.
Maybe, just maybe, there will be a time when I can stand back with great pride as my children wallop Auntie Janelle. She'll be coming in November.
That's a lot of time to practice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment