Monday, April 23, 2012

Colorado Springs - The Mega Field Trip

One of the things the kids had wanted to do while in Colorado was visit a cave. I grew up visiting the Cave of the Winds several times and definitely wanted the kids to have that experience. Thankfully, Dad & Cathy were willing to oblige!

The trip down was wonderful. I was reading a wonderful & historical book, but was sure to look up and enjoy the view too. I love how Pike's Peak just rises up out of nowhere to show off it's snow & crags. (I took this picture from the car as we were driving down I-25.) There's NOTHING like the Rocky Mountains. I miss this mountain view tremendously. It's not something I think about continually, but when I get out to Colorado, I just love looking at them.


To our surprise (& Cathy's), we stopped at my Uncle Ray & Auntie MaryLou's house. Cave of the Winds and Garden of the Gods is practically in their backyard so they were going to be joining us. Of all of my family on my Dad's side, Uncle Ray & Auntie MaryLou have been the closest. I love it when Dad & MaryLou get together. They are a riot. Uncle Ray can keep us all on our toes too!

Our first stop was the Cave of the Winds...

I would have posted pictures, but the lighting within the cave, as you can imagine, is dark. I absolutely love it on the tour when they tell you to stand still and they turn off the lights. You literally cannot see your hand in front of your face. It was SO dark that I could only see the little dots marking the hours on a man's watch. I'm not thinking this was Marshall & Shaylen's favorite part, but it was memorable.

After the cave tour, we went to lunch. I enjoyed a chipotle wrap at this really neat restaurant and the kids devoured their lunch too.

Next stop, Garden of the Gods...
Just like Pike's Peak rises up out of seemingly nowhere, so do the red rock formations. They provide such a stark contrast between the beautiful, big blue sky and the green of the evergreen trees and scrub brush. Aren't they beautiful. The kids loved climbing and exploring and saying, "Here, Mom. Take a picture of me here," and striking a pose. There are too many to post, but I will put on some of my favorites. It was a wonderful and memorable day.
Must be the fresh Colorado air. He has super-human strength today!
 


My Uncle Ray & Auntie MaryLou.


No comments: