Monday, December 28, 2009

Backing Up a Skosh: The Annual Deacons' Party

In my hurry to post the kids Christmas program video, I failed to mention a wonderful party that we hosted in our home. All of our deacons, their wives and children were able to come over and enjoy some food & games. This year, food-wise we varied from "tradition." Instead of a main course of ham or roast beef and everyone bringing sides (canned or frozen corn included...sorry, inside joke), salads or dessert, we had lots of little stuff: meatballs and sauce, stuffed puffed pastries, little smokies in barbeque sauce and honey & barbeque chicken. The deacons' families brought in cheese and crackers, veggies, rolls, chips and dip and desserts. What a feast!

All of the kids camped out in the basement while the adults enjoyed the laughter and teasing amongst ourselves upstairs.

Once we were all done stuffing ourselves, Taigen called the kids upstairs and started the games. You'll notice the funny looking photo on the left. What are those teens doing? Well, Taigen had them drawing a picture without looking (Christmas tree, ornaments, star on top, presents underneath, fireplace complete with fire, stockings, etc.). Then, the kids needed to go to their parents (pictured right) so that they could be awarded points for accuracy. It was hilarious to see their drawings.

We also played a "Name that Christmas Song" game. This was super interesting since Taigen didn't just quote phrases from the song. He had acquired high-faluting, mumbo-jumbo wordings of the carols and we had to figure it out. Here's an example: "Singular Yearning for the Twin Anterior Incisors" or "Query Regarding Identity of Descendant." I'll let you chew on those for awhile. Bwa ha ha ha!

The grande conclusion to our evening was a white elephant gift exchange. I must say that I ended up pretty good this year! I got a brand new Yankee Candle snowman figurine that I just love...complete with a brand new Evergreen candle. Taigen on the other hand got stuck with some glittery, purple lotion in a bottle shaped like an ice cream sundae! I have a feeling he's going to set that aside so it can make a grand appearance next year.

We love our deacon group and their families and are so thankful for them. They are a joy to work (and play) with.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We love you too Cornito! The only thing missing from the menu though was the corn! Other than that it was a perfect night. Thanks for inviting us into your home.