Monday, November 17, 2008

Feeder Friends

It's been quite a while since I posted on any birds in our backyard. That's probably because there haven't been too many since the weather turned cooler. Lately it's been a lot of Tufted Titmice, Chickadees and woodpeckers and no new friends. The Chickadees like a particular pine tree that is right outside our school-room window and I see them going back and forth, hopping from branch to branch. The kids don't notice, which is good, but I take great delight in watching them!

Sunday afternoon I noticed two new birds underneath the feeder. I got the camera out and snapped a couple of pictures. Turns out that it was a male and female dark-eyed, slate-colored Junco. They were content to peck on the ground and I was able to get a couple of good shots. They are tiny and beautiful.

6 comments:

js said...

Thanks for saving me from my bird post withdrawal. Teeheehee! I guess it is better than my posts about weird and gross creatures! :)

Dovey said...

Crystal, you and your nature posts are a HUGE inspiration to me. I know nothing about nature but am doing Charlotte Mason education with my children, hoping to learn along with them. I wish I had the confidence that you do, but maybe someday! :-)

The Coffee Press said...

Dovey,

I don't know about confidence as much as it is looking things up in a book if I don't know what it is. I TRY really hard to get the kids interested in the great outdoors because I am not athletic (aside from the occasional volleyball game)and not a dig-in-the-dirt kind of lady. I get out there and do stuff, but not necessarily out of a great desire. I would much rather sit and read a good book!

I don't want mamsy-pamsy kids so I've got to be proactive and do something! Know what I mean?

They won't be sportstars but hopefully they will love exploring & discovering what God has created for us.

Dovey said...

That's my desire for my children as well, and I'm like you -- give me a book! We have a few field guides, but I'm never confident that I have identified them correctly. :-( I do learn a lot from you. Keep teaching! :-)

The Coffee Press said...

I use Roger Tory Peterson's Birds of Eastern and Central North America. It was given to us by Danette Rogers. Remember her from Mr. Butt's office?

She also sent me the National Audubon Society's Field Guide to the Night Sky. I'm looking forward to teaching them about the stars. They already know about Orion and the star within that constellation called Rigel because of Dawn Watkins' book Very Like A Star.

The blog is something I enjoy doing, but it makes it so much fun to know that you're enjoying it to. I'm looking forward to meeting your newest member! Keep us posted.

The Coffee Press said...

Dovey,

The bird book has PICTURES...that's how there is more confidence behind my bird labels. Hee hee Otherwise, I'm clueless!