Monday, August 4, 2008

VBS Closing Program

Last night was our VBS closing program. It was great that so many of our "outside" kids (non-members) and their families could come. We had a good turnout! The program allows the kids to share what they learned throughout the VBS week: verses, songs and lessons.

What I didn't know is that they also give out special awards and Marshall and Shaylen did really well! We knew that memorizing verses and doing extra projects, etc. would allow them to have points for the VBS store throughout the week, but we didn't know that they awarded anything in the end. Marshall and Shaylen came in second (tie) in their class for saying extra verses. I was especially proud of them because they can't even read yet. They memorized seven verses last week. Four of those were regular verses and three were extra. For extra points they could also restate the previous regular verses every day so that by the time Friday came, they were saying all four and then the extra verse on top of that. It was a lot of review, but they enjoyed every moment of it. In overall points, Shaylen placed second (only 5 points behind their friend Matthew who is 6). Lest you think that Marshall was a slacker...this included the points that they "found" in "dinosaur eggs" and Shaylen had hit the jackpot earlier in the week by cracking a 50 pointer! Lucky cutey patutey!

I know this might seem insignificant to some of you, but I looked out at the congregation after the prelude and saw that Mike and Brenda Bowman were there! They had no idea that it was VBS closing night, but there they were!!! They were able to watch Marshall and Shaylen sing and receive their awards. It was like having family there. Mike and Brenda have been able to attend every birthday party, help celebrate Christmas and love Marshall and Shaylen as if we WERE related. Isn't it neat how God orchestrated it all? We are so thankful for friends who have adopted us (and we them) as family!

Like I said in an earlier post, the kids had a ton of fun and as I type they are playing with their prizes: dinosaur putty (ew!) and their growing dinosaurs (soaking in a bowl of water). They have already talked about next year's VBS. We praise the Lord for a successful week, great volunteers (adults and teens) and awesome kids to work with!

Here are two videos of the kids singing. The first one is a song that the 4 year olds through 1st grade class learned on their own. The second one was the theme song for VBS this year called "We're Digging For the Truth" (not my favorite...but I thought I would post it anyway because I laugh at Marshall looking at his fingers quickly to determine how many fingers "six" is.)

Noah Was A Man of God


We're Digging For the Truth

5 comments:

js said...

Great job Marshall and Shaylen! :) I had to laugh at the little girl in the pink dress pulling it up higher and higher. Good thing it was really long to begin with. Hehe!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you both, especially memorizing the verses that you did. I wish I could have been there to see you sing, but am so thankful your mommy put the video on the blog. I'll see you soon - you can show me all your prizes and quote some of the verses for me, ok? I love you.

Grandma Sherry

The Coffee Press said...

Hopefully they will remember them by then! I'll have to review...

Anonymous said...

Great job Marshall and Shaylen!! I am thinking that the little girl in the pink dress will be Hannah someday. I remember about 2 years ago now at the Christmas program that Isaiah decided that sitting down the stage was a great place for him to be through the whole program.

The Coffee Press said...

I remember that too. I think if SPJ ever did decided to do that with her dress, I'd crawl under the piano (or pew...wherever I was at the moment!).

I'm thankful that Taigen videotaped the kids singing, since I was at the piano and couldn't watch.