Marshall and Shaylen have been doing really well at going down for naps. We usually calm down by reading a few stories and then they climb into their beds. I tuck them in with their lovey and blanket. Then I trek down to the basement to get some things done. I always turn the monitor on.
Today however, I started in with my stack of books and things to accomplish when I hear Shaylen over the monitor, "Moooommy... Moooooooommmmy." I head upstairs before her volume escalates to the point of disturbing the peace of her already snoozing brother next door.
Their rooms are pretty dark, so upon entering I can see absolutely nothing. I feel my way to her bed.
"What's the matter, honey?"
"Mommy? (long pause) Mommy, I found something."
My eyes are now adjusting. I see her form in the bed. "What is it?" I ask.
At this point in our conversation, she finds my hands and tries to shove something into it. "What could she have possibly found in her bed or on her blanket that doesn't belong there?" I wonder.
It is something small. It fits in her fingers. Perhaps a fuzzy. Perhaps a string from off her afghan.
I cannot see a thing so I am feeling at her fingertips trying to find the "something" mentioned.
"What is it?" I ask again.
I shouldn't have.
"It's a boogey."
No comments:
Post a Comment