Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Fever Bug

The Fever Bug hit the Joos household. Marshall was particularly grumpy on Saturday. It's not like him to be that "touchy." After working at the church during the morning hours, I brought the twins home to feed them lunch. Marshall hardly touched his sandwich. He burst into tears, said he wasn't hungry, and went to lay down on the couch. Not much long after that, he was sound asleep. I immediately knew that he was not well.  When he woke up TWO HOURS later, I took his temp. He definitely had a fever. After changing his clothes into his jammies, grabbing a blanket, his robe, and a stuffed animal, he took ANOTHER two hour nap. The fever was still up by bedtime so we gave him some medicine and sent him to bed. We knew he would not be going to church in the morning. His fever was still raging in the morning when I woke him up. He was more pleasant (amazing what sleep and medicine will do), and we enjoyed a quiet day together while Taigen and Shaylen went to church.

The fever lasted four days. Monday he slept until 10:20 and took catnaps throughout the day. Tuesday he was feeling much better and his fever was pretty low so we managed to squeak in a little school. Tuesday night at dinner I made burritos...a family favorite. Shaylen was mid-burrito when she asked if she could be excused. She said she was full. We looked surprised and reminded her that if she didn't finish her dinner there would be no cake (Taigen & Marshall's trial-run cake for the Men's Dessert contest). She said she knew but that she didn't want any. We knew then that something was wrong. Shaylen never turns down dessert! She went and lay down on the couch and was out like a light. Alas! Marshall had shared his fever bug with his sister.

The next day her fever was raging and she managed to come to the couch in the morning, but go up to her room at about 10:30am and sleep off and on for the rest of the day and into the night. Shaylen and I missed the Wednesday evening service. Thursday was more of the same and Friday finally brought some relief.

It was the strangest bug to hit the Joos household! It only involved the fever. No other symptoms were present. Taigen and I, so far have managed to avoid it. We had to pretty much take off a week of school, but there was plenty of time for snuggles, books, and rest.

1 comment:

Grammie in Alaska said...

My poor munchkins. I am glad they are better. Grammie in Alaska loves you so much.